KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
QUALITY WORK FOR A FAIR PRICE.
- By law, you as the owner of the vehicle have the right to choose
the shop of YOUR choice for repairs. Remember the insurance company is a business, their
profits are higher by paying out less (basic business sense.)
- The insurance company did not make the payments on your vehicle, does not drive your
vehicle, does not carry their family in your vehicle, and basically has nothing to lose on
the repair (except money.) You as the owner should choose a shop with whom you can have a
good relationship and who will look out for your welfare and safety. Most of all someone you
can trust now and in the future should any additional damage resulting from the accident be
discovered after delivery.
- Your car is a substantial investment, be certain your investment is protected. Don't give
up your right to quality by allowing the insurance company to make your choices for you.
- You do not need to get more than one estimate. If you have already decided on the shop you
can trust your vehicle to, tell the insurance company who WILL be doing the repairs.
- Common replies from SOME companies: "They may charge you more than we allow and you will
have to pay the difference" Not so! If they are obligated to pay the bill an agreement is
reached before work begins, the customer is notified of the result, and the CUSTOMER must
authorize repairs to begin. There are no surprise additional costs.
- Another insurance reply when you choose someone other than their DRP (direct repair facility)
or equivalent: "They don't meet our criteria." This statement makes us laugh, although it
should anger you the consumer. "Meeting criteria" can mean the shop will not agree to the use
of substandard parts, will not give insurance "discounts", or will not repair items that should
be replaced to protect the integrity of the customer's vehicle. A few insurance companies
believe that their customers are stupid or blind. It can be said that a shop does not meet
the insurance company's criteria, when actually the shop surpasses any criteria the insurance
company sets forth. The best shop meets the customer's criteria of:
CHOOSE YOUR OWN SHOP!